Award management system
SESAME is SFI’s online grants and awards management system. SESAME enables:
- Researchers to apply online to SFI’s calls for proposals
- Researchers to keep a record of research outputs in their contact profile
- Research Body representatives to review and authorise all applications from their research body
- Research Body representatives to track the status of applications
- The submission of scientific annual reports and financial reports
- The submission by researchers and approval by research body representatives of requests for budget reallocations and no cost extensions
How to access SESAME
SESAME is accessible online at grants.sfi.ie In order to access the system all researchers must be set up by their local Research Office. Grant Administrators within the Research Office of each institution should contact SFI (firstname.lastname@example.org) to complete their setup on the system.
SESAME user guides
I have been set up as a researcher by my research office, but I am unable to gain access to the system?
Your Research Office Administrator is required to activate your profile within the system in addition to setting up the contact profile: Module 3 of the Research Body User guide provides guidelines on activating profiles using the settings menu. Please contact your Research office to activate the profile.
Do I need to complete the research outputs section of my profile prior to submission of an application to SFI?
No, currently you may, but are not required to complete the research outputs section (publications, awards, patents etc) of your contact profile prior to submission. This information will be required for submission of annual reports, if an award is made.
You do need to complete the additional contact information where displayed in red e.g. nationality, year of PhD etc.
Can I use special characters in text fields in SESAME?
SESAME can accommodate some, but not all characters / symbols. To add characters, please use True Type font in Word and Unicode or ASCII encoding (see below). The user should select “Insert symbol” in Word, select Unicode or ASCII symbols and then copy and paste into text fields in SESAME. The user must then verify by viewing the PDF of the proposal / document that the symbols are correctly displayed.
I am having trouble using the “multiple files” upload button?
How can I tell if a researcher at my research body is applying to SFI as a co-applicant?
I cannot find the online database I use for publication entry in SESAME?
Users can either input publications manually into sesame or relevant publications can be entered using PubMed. We regret that additional functionality is not currently available for the use of other online databases or other formats although SFI hope to expand on this functionality at a later stage.
It is important however to note that at the current time there is no obligation for researchers to enter past publications into sesame as the usual CV template continues to be employed for the PI programme. The profile is not used directly to build the CV. At a later stage, award holders will be required to enter research outputs for the preparation of their annual reports.
Which fields should be completed in profile information?
(a)Applicants do need to complete the contact information including “additional contact information” where displayed in red e.g. nationality, year of PhD, DOB, Citizenship etc.
(b) Applicants are NOT however required to complete the detailed research outputs section of their profile (education, employment, journal articles etc.) in order to submit an application to PI 2011.
2. Researchers are required to complete the “current and pending research support “fields within SESAME application”, in addition to the information required in the CV template. This may either be completed in the profile and then added to the application of may be entered as the applicant proceeds through the application process (as shown in screen shot below). Please ensure that researchers are completing these fields prior to submission.